RSS Follow Become a Fan

October 2012
July 2012
May 2011

powered by

My Blog

Be thankful

Today is November 12th and I am working on Thanksgiving stories for my visits to many of the areas Senior Living Centers.  There are not a lot of stories that are for this specific holiday so I have decided to contemplate the many things I am thankful for.  In this process I have discovered that if one only stops to think for a moment....they can list so many that they could write a book.  For starters....just the fact that I was born and raised in Chicago and have had the experiences of my lifetime to explore this marvelous city makes me very greatful.  I have taken tours of many amazing places and am so greatful for them.  Just thinking about my youth and all the places I have been downtown and then comparing them to the same visits as I have had the opportunity to do in my latter years.  The ability that I have to be able to compare them and remember some that have gone by.  My numerous trips to Marshall Fields for example....the lunches there in the Walnut Room..as a child, with my children and now with my grandchildren.  The amazing Christmas windows that I enjoyed for decades.  This is a sad moment to realize that they are gone, but not in my mind or my heart.  They will live on because I live on.  In my Hankerchief program I have a CHICAGO handerchief that was from Marshall Fields and still has the Marshall Fields price tag on it.  I even have the handerkerchief with the Marshall Fields clock on it...only to remind me of "times" gone by.  I am so greatful at this time of year to have been able to have had the experiences that I have had, and even more greatful to share them with my stories.
What kind of story can you share about Chicago?  To help you out..think about all the changes in the skyline....Navy Pier  Can you remember the Linco Man?  How about the back alley Peddlers?  Homemade bread and jam?  How about Santa's Village...KiddieLand or Adventure Land?  Remember the Ground Round? Shakee's Pizza and then their movie nights?  Drive Inn movies?  Share the memories with your loved ones and with me as well.  I would love to hear your stories.  They may add something extra special to mine that I have the opportunity to share with others.  I hope to hear from you soon.  Remember....Be Thankful.

6 Comments to Be thankful:

Comments RSS
Jeanni on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:10 PM
You have managed to trigger so many memories of things that are now forgotten by many. Ahhh, KiddieLand & Santa's Village! I have always been afraid of heights, but was able to take the ski-lift ride over Santa's Village, able to see so far away plus the hundreds of people (or so it seemed) on the ground. Kiddieland and its train ride through the complex, around the rides and into the tunnel. Drive-in movies---7 kids plus Mom & Dad all in a '55 Olds for 2 movies plus cartoons and the playground area for before the movies started. I remember riding the old trolley busses with my Grandma or my Aunt--the exasperation as the trolley became disconnected and the driver got out and magically manuvered it back in place, and off we went again. The bus was my 'escape' into the world outside my neighborhood. I look around my neighborhood today and see all these big houses or townhouses where once the butcher shop stood that gave us bones for our dog, or the Hobby Shop on the corner that sold Mary Janes and Licorice whips of flying saucers candy at a penny or 2 a piece. In the Hobby Shop's place today stands a very well known German restaurant. The buthcher shop is now part of a townhouse. A big box store now stands where the Kiddieland train once had its tracks. The drive-in movie is now part of a major shopping center. I wonder what the kids of today will remember in 30, 40 years?
Reply to comment

debi on Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:24 AM
Yes the wonderful neighborhood stores. I remember going to them each day for that days food. The lunchmeat was cut fresh. The chub fish sat out on a tray on the counter. The woman behind the counter wrote down the bill in a book and it was paid at the end of the month. The peddlers came down the alley with fresh vegetables and fruit...and for me, my grandmother would bake fresh bread and use the fruit and make homemade jelly and the taster bowl would sit on the stove next to the loaf of bread and bowl of butter. The rest of the jelly got preserved and put on a shelf for latter use. Ahh...those were the days.

Jeanni on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:43 PM
I've been thinking since my last blog, about how nice we have so many things today. Looking up information for a school paper used to take hours--now we have computers to quickly help us in the search! No more going through 22 books of the encyclopedia. It would take Mom hours to prepare a hot meal or snack, and then it was for the whole family because of the work involved in making it. TV dinners came along, where you could pop a foil tray in the oven, and in 45 minutes you had an individual meal. Now we have micro waves, that can fix Dad his 'Hungryman Dinner' of meatloaf, while Mom nukes her Diet Delight low calorie salmon, the kids heat up their pizza puffs so they don't starve between after school and dinner time--all within a few minutes. We used to have to go out to go shopping, wether for food or clothes of furniture--now we have the internet where you can order almost anything to be delivered where you want, often overnight! Who ever dreamed that there would be pocket-sized telephones that enabled you to call anywhere in the world at anytime of day or night without operator assistance and without the high cost. Cars are completely climate controlled, tell you when you are low on gas, and even give directions to where the nearest gas station is located--and now they have cars that park themselves! Snowblowers enable us to clear the driveway and sidewalk in a very short time without breaking our back while doing so. You can look up your old class mates on the computer, and find them wherever in the world they may be. Police departments are able to send fingetprints and other data to identify a criminal they have in custody. Doctors can consult one another, even during surgery! A micro-chip under Fido's or Fluffy's skin identifies the owner in case the should get loose outside. Travel is becoming faster with advances in airplanes today. Oh, how we have been blessed by all these things. And, what will tomorrow bring? Only God knows! I know I am very Thankful indeed for all these blessings that make my life so much easier.
Reply to comment

debi on Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:40 AM
I agree with how inventive and time saving all the new things have made it for us all...but the thought leaves me to wonder what we have lost in the process. Children don't read books as often, hear stories on the front porch or at the dining room or kitchen tables. The foods are genetically altered and just don't taste the same..but the newest generation don't have a yardstick to measure it with. Families lived closer and were able to help each other. It would be nice to take a Sunday's drive out into the country instead of each person in the family in a differnet room...segregated from each other. With each step forward...we tend to take a few steps back. Of course not technically, but in a closer, personal family way. Neighbors knew AND helped each other. I still find today such joy listening to old tume radio shows. I especially love being a storyteller...it allows me the privaledge of searching in books and Yes, on the computer for stories. It makes me talk with people, ask questions and look deep inside for those wonderful stories that I can share.

tibet lhasa travel agency on Sunday, May 19, 2013 3:44 AM
I just like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I'm relatively certain I'll be informed many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the following!
Reply to comment

flights to tibet on Sunday, May 19, 2013 6:42 AM
I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!
Reply to comment